E's First Birthday
Happy Birthday to E !! (well on Saturday)
Lots of preparation went into this party... homemade invitations (only sent to family because I couldn't find the time to make twice as many), buying little bits of decorations from many different places (ikea, the party store in davis and the 99cent store), baking and making of cupcakes and one special cake all for E , planning for the party schedule, updating E's Amazon wishlist and keeping the Uyeyama (our gracious and courage host that let both the Spencer side and Yee side of the families descend on their home). Here's a quick rundown of the week leading up to her party.
Thursday I bought the last minute needed ingredients to make cupcakes and homemade frosting. I just did box mix and used a simple frosting recipe. Cupcakes came out beautifully (and tasty), the frosting on the other hand... let's just say there was a first batch that used shortening and it was rancid tasting (didn't frost any cupcakes with it, in case you were wondering). Even the "good batch" (that used margarine) still wasn't that great, sigh. (If you have an easy tasty frosting recipe, I'm all ears!)
Friday I got everything together, finished decorating said cupcakes with "Happy First Birthday" (ok, actually I told Ian what to do and he did all the decorating) and at around 10:30pm (after E had gone to bed) went over to the Uyeyamas and set up. Most of the time was spent putting up streamers. I know there's probably some perfect way of putting them up, but we just picked some fun places to put them and twisted them a bit. It was definitely "homemade" and very festive.
Then Saturday... the day. Oh, did I not mention yet... E's first birthday party was Animal themed. We chatted, we ate some tasty catered food from The Mustard Seed and when most people had gotten there we played E Jeopardy (minus double jeopardy). The categories were Birthday (having to do with her birth information), Favorites, Playtime, the # Game and Night Night. I was afraid that either (1) everyone would be uninterested in playing the game, (2) no one would know the answers or (3) one side of our family would clearly dominate over the other. Instead, it was a great game, everyone (even friends in Davis that probably don't really get to spend that much time with E ) played. The winner was Andrea (aunt on Ian's side) because she strategically (or just by chance) answered the high point value questions.
Then after the game, we ate so more (what's a party without food?), watched a cute video that I put together of E's first year and then did presents and cake. Everyone like the video, although near the middle Luke Armstrong and E were playing together and doing cute things and they totally stole the show! I would say more about presents and cake, except there's not much to say since E wasn't too interested in opening her presents (or even playing with the wrapping and boxes). She really wanted just one or two of the actual toys she got and was disinterested with what we were doing. And when we brought the cake, she looked a bit confused... I started it off with a big swipe... and I think she ate maybe two bites and then crawled away. Oh well. I ate a little bit of her cake and was done too. Of her little 6"x6" cake, only about 1/5 of it ever got eaten.
And that was her party in a nutshell. It was quite fun just to have everyone gathered around, family, friends and lots of E friends (Luke, Vivi and Grayson).
In the aftermath, E is still enjoying her new toys (and now a new living room which I reconfigured and moved all the furniture to make for one big open space in the center) and especially LOVES the baby grand piano that her auntie Gennie, Gigi and uncle Ivan got here. Thanks everyone!!
Oh.... and did you think I wasn't going to include some picture?? (see the flickr banner for more)



No comments:
Post a Comment